Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Coachella Day 3 Recap

So we survived Coachella. Phew!

Sorry I'm a little late with this recap, but I've been in recovery mode. Still in it, actually, but I have some time on my hands right now.

Anyway, on Day 3 I started to get a little lazy. I didn't feel like stage hopping as much, but I still managed to catch some killer sets.

The Roots - They were burning. My favorite was their medley of covers, including "Just A Friend" by Biz Markie, "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims and "Push It" by Salt N Pepa. Sweet. They pulled out all the hits too. I was so amused by their dancing tuba player. Does he always do that?
Willie Nelson - The sound on the main stage was surprisingly really bad for 'ol Willie's set, but once we moved closer everything was much better. His sons are great on the drums and guitar, and I really enjoyed just sitting on the grass and listening to their set.
Air - They went on about 40 minutes late, which is a big deal at Coachella since everything was pretty much running on time. The crowd was getting really antsy; people to see, places to go. Anyway, they finally came on and I was really entranced by their set. However, I wanted to go backstage for a little, but after some lame problems there we finally decided to head over to Manu Chao.
Manu Chao - By this point, all I wanted to do was sit and get ready for Rage. But from what I did hear of Manu Chao, they sounded pretty good, so I'll definitely want to check them out at Prospect Park this summer.
Rage Against the Machine - Oh god, Rage were fucking insane. Everyone was completely losing their minds. In a good way, duh. It was amazing seeing "Killing In the Name" live. Rage was the best way to end the festival, I think. People were just so pumped and the atmosphere was magical/insane.

Willie Nelson


Crazy hippie tents

Fire sculpture

The train!
Anxious crowd waiting for Air

Air


Rage

The mass exodus

No comments: