Tuesday, March 20, 2007

the collarbone's connected to the...





Last night Fujiya & Miyagi played the MacIntosh Center at Barnard College. That's like, waaaaaaay too uptown. Unbeknownst to me, I was about to stumble upon a SECRET BILLYBURG where I witnessed more tapered jeans and flats than my latest trip on the L-train. And there was a loooooooot of American Apparel happening at this place. Who knew that hipsters had a secret colony on the Columbia University campus?


The opening band was a total disaster. Lots of scary attempts at harmonizing that resulted in shitty weird intervals and my bleeding eardrums. They sounded like the disco, wanna-be version of Ra-Ra Riot.

The capacity was about 200 people, but we guesstimated that perhaps only 100-150 showed up. Probably 100ish. And the people around us felt the need to talk about completely underelated things throughout the course of the evening. Dude, you can do that in a coffeehouse--please don't come to shows if you're going to tell us about your last date really, really loudly.

Anyways, enough bitching and bad attitude!!!



If you're not familiar with Fujiya & Miyagi's catalouge, listen here

Hokay...they were pretty awesome. I'm in love with the David Best's (the lead vocalist) voice. IT IS SEX ON A STICK. They really rocked out and right when I felt like they had warmed up to the audience, the set ended (probably about a 45 minutes long...). They don't have a drummer right now and are using a machine, but it was kinda cool. Wondering if they will get a drummer?

I'm really, really bummed I didn't get the chance to see them at Mercury Lounge Sunday night or tomorrow night, but that's what I get for snoozin' on the ticket quest.

I'd LOVE to see F & M play a P.S. 1 Party this summer or the rooftfop of The Delancey (but not the winter. only in the hot, hot heat).

No comments: