Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Music Slut: Cassettes Won't Listen

On Saturday Cassettes Won't Listen played The Music Slut's Spring Fling at The Delancey.



Man, do I have some mixed feelings about this performance. I REALLY WANT TO LOVE CWL. He's got some great and hilarious ideas. BUT....dude can't sing in tune and sometimes the delivery of his songs really, really falter. What Cassettes Won't Listen DOES do well is all his computer stuff and remixing. I concluded by the end of the night he should really just stick to re-mixing other artist's work. His realizations of The Postmarks' "Goodbye" and The Diggs' "Everyone's Starting Over" are awesome. And I love his original song "Lunch for Breakfast" but the outta key vox sometimes drive me nuts. You can listen to him here.



While the beginning of the show was pretty lukewarm, I got pretty worried about losing my faith altogether in CWL. He sorta redeemed himself with this:

CWL, unbeknownst to us, scattered his friends in the crowd and then asked people to come up and sing for him so that it appeared to be random people that he'd never met. At first we thought it was real and I was cracking up. By the time the second female vocalist came up, we realized it was a hoax--a fun one, but still a hoax. While this gimmicky trick didn't redeem the weak music, it saved what could've been a really, really weak performance.








No comments: