Tuesday, March 13, 2007

karma karma karma

So I've had a pretty busted up week trying to get into shows. I meant to see Cassettes Won't Listen at Sin-e (make sure you get to Sin-e before it closes for good on April 2!) on Saturday, but due to a series of unfortunate events, I didn't get down there in time. I was pissed because The Diggs were also on that bill and man what a dream billing...gotta love those guys. THEN I also missed The Roots at Nokia on Sunday. Monday, M$ and I were shut down at Union Hall for the Loney, Dear show. Tuesday I got the total smackdown for The Pipettes and Amy Winehouse show. I had a comp ticket from my job set up about a month ago and due to drama, I came in on Tuesday to find my ticket had been yanked out from under my nose. So I decided to stand by and see if my colleague could score an extra ticket for me. NO DICE. So... I got pretty drunk at a wine bar in Nolita.

My luck all took a turn for the better last night when I scored a free last-minute seat to The Shins at Theatre at MSG. Damn, were they good. Thumbs up to the soundboard dudes. The balance was pretty perfect. At the beginning there was a bit of feedback from the bass, but the rest of the night was smooth sailing. No matter how good the act, something about the sound at TMSG is really funky. It sounds like things are muffled, you know? Like the bands are playing with a pillow smushed over them. Is it just me?


They opened with Sleeping Lessons, Australia (I think? Can't remember.) and then the great single Phantom Limb (which I sing everyday when I'm walking to the train in the mornings. I love the oooooooooooooooooooo way ooooooooooooo, ooooooooooooooo ooooooooo part). Of course they delivered greatest hits like Kissing the Lipless, Young Pilgrims, and New Slang.










More pics soon to come. Sorry guys! I forgot to bring my camera so I'm awaitin for my friend's buddy to upload his pics. In the meantime, enjoy the view here.

I'm going to see Mana at MSG tonight and I don't know what to expect. Should be fun, I hope!

Got lots of new stuff. Been real lazy on the posting scene, but I hope that all changes today!



First off, this is probably old news for a lot of you, but I'm so excited about it that I must say something! The always amazing Stars are re-leasing their Set Yourself on Fire album with each track re-mixed by a different band. I've been able to get 3 singles off it and they are delicious!



Take a listen, I promise you won't regret it:


Ageless Beauty by Most Serene Republic.


Sleep Tonight by Junior Boys.


First Five Times by Russian Futurists. (This is my least favorite. I give the Russian Futurists mad props for re-realizing this track in a completely different tone, but I just don't think it works within the original premises of the song. But...maybe that's the point.)

The album's track listing is as follows:

your ex-lover is dead (final fantasy)
set yourself on fire (montag)
ageless beauty (the most serene republic)
reunion (jason collett)
the big fight (minotaur shock)
what i'm trying to say pt. 1 (the dears)
what i'm trying to say pt. 2 (the dears)
one more night (apostle of hustle)
sleep tonight (junior boys)
the first five times (the russian futurists)
he lied about death (metric)
celebration guns (camouflage nights with kevin drew)
soft revolution (the stills)
calendar girl (young galaxy)

Damn...it's gonna be so good.




My favorite Stars remix is done by Most Serene Republic, a band that's also signed to the Arts & Crafts label. Since their work on the Ageless Beauty single was so good, I decided to check out their album and have grown quite fond of it. This collection of songs no doubt takes a couple listens to get a good grasp on the material. My ears felt like a jumble of sound had descended into them, but after a few tries I've really grow to love them. I highly recommend. They remind me of the sound that's coming out of Chicago right now (Bound Stems, Chin Up Chin Up)


In other news, these are some bands I've been listening to:


Young Galaxy



I've only listened to 3 tracks off the EP, but they're fantastic. I have "Swing Your Heartache" on repeat. Man, another great band out of Canada. Must be something in the water, eh?



They'll be at Mercury Lounge on April 14th and 15th--get your tix now!

The Rosebuds

I'm probably a little late on this, but I just discovered this band from my hometown, Raleigh, NC! They are a showcasing artist at SXSW, so if you're in Austin go check 'em out!


The Bears



Really fun, poppy music. They make me smile. Their new EP is coming out April 3 and you can stream 2 of the new tracks here.


Totally diggin' on this Mark Ronson remix of Lily Allen's "Smile" that features Dujeous of Brooklyn (you can also check Dujeous out at South By this week).
Ok...I'm out of time for now as I have to run over and see some stupid show in since its doing previews right now. More to come!

No comments: