Wednesday, April 4, 2007

+/- and Bishop Allen @ Mercury Lounge

Friday's show [March 30th] at the Mercury Lounge was amazing. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

+/- rocked their set. The second song they played, "Fadeout," came off amazing live. There's a 4 minute buildup in the song, during which you are just waiting for the rest of the guitars and drums to kick in, and when they do it's so satisfying and worth the wait. Another highlight in their set was "One Day You'll Be There," which I imagine is really hard to pull off live with the weird syncopation, but it sounded so good. The band was really tight; but the drummer was the real star.

In between sets, they played snippets of stage banter in between songs at a KISS concert. Funny and amusing the first few times, but a little annoying towards the end. The only thing that was disappointing during their set was that the crowd didn't seem to be into it. Maybe they were all there to see Bishop Allen? Who knows, but I thought that +/- did a great job and I can't wait to see them again.

When Bishop Allen came on, the crowd was loving it. Everyone knew all the words and people were actually dancing, it was really fun. I saw Bishop Allen during their Pianos residency about a year ago, and I thought they were good, but not amazing. So I was curious as to what they sound like live now, what with all their additions and changes to the band, as well as signing a record deal with Dead Oceans. What a difference a year has made. They are a tight band now, and they have a full sound that comes off really well and fills the room. Their songs just came to life on Friday.

DOWNLOAD: Bishop Allen - "Click Click Click Click" (MP3)

I never considered myself a Bishop Allen fan, mostly because I didn't think I knew their catalog well enough. But at the show on Friday, I realized that I knew most of the songs they played, and not only that, but I really love those songs. Highlights for me included "The Monitor," "Corazon" (<3 style="font-style: italic;">Clementines due out later this Summer.

Cross-posted at Skank Your Art.

No comments: